Divorce , Custody and Household Goods

UPDATED: Jul 7, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 7, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Divorce , Custody and Household Goods

I am a German Citizen but also have American Citizenship thru birth.But I lived in Germany until I was 21 and moved to the Atates with my husband. He is in the US Army. We are having problems for a while now.We also have a 1 year old son. If we get a divorce I would most likely go back to Germany. Who would get custody? I also own one of our cars that is not pad off yet. And what happens with our furniture etc which is mostly mine? We are currently stationed at fort Lewis, Washington.

Asked on July 7, 2009 under Family Law, Washington


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

You should talk to an attorney in your area, who can review your situation in detail and give you advice that you can rely on.  I think you have some choices in how to go about this, and it makes sense to learn about them and the consequences of each, so that you can make an intelligent decision.  This is important.

In most states, you would have to ask the court's permission to move back to Germany with your son.  However, it has gotten much easier, in recent years, in many states, to get this permission.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption