What to do if I’m an American citizen who wants to get married with a woman who has been in the US over a year?

UPDATED: Feb 13, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 13, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I’m an American citizen who wants to get married with a woman who has been in the US over a year?

She just applied for her green card because she came in the US as an immigrant and the process to get her green card will take about 180 days. If we get married now will she get it after 3 weeks, since she’s marrying a US citizen?

Asked on February 13, 2015 under Immigration Law, Texas


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Nothing happens in 3 weeks.� On what basis is she filing for her green card before the marriage?� Is it through employment?� Through another relative?� There is no way to just get a green card becuase one has been in the US for a specific period of time.�Please clarify.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption