How does getting a new B2 visa work?

UPDATED: Feb 11, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 11, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How does getting a new B2 visa work?

My mom and my 13 year old sister have a B2 visa right now.I plan to file an I-130 for my mom soon since I became a US citizen. I know that their B2 visa will get canceled in this case. Can I also file a new B2 visa for my sister so she can come here for the summer? What are her chances of getting a B2 visa in this case?

Asked on February 11, 2015 under Immigration Law, New York


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You can petition for your mother and sister once you become a US citizen assuming you are also over the age of 21.� however, while it will take about 1 year for your mother to qualify for an immigrant visa if she is abroad, it will take about 10-12 years for your sister to be able to immigrate on the basis of your petition.� Also, once you petition for her she is probably not going to be able to get the B-2 visa or use it for entry.� It would probably be quicker if you only apply for your mother and once your mother is a US permanent resident, she can petition for her daughter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption