What will happen if I’m 18 and was caught shoplifting food under $40?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What will happen if I’m 18 and was caught shoplifting food under $40?

They took my picture for their system and information, I believe the cops were called only to see if I had a record not for my fingerprints or anything, I am now banned from the chain and they said I would be recieving a letter 3-6 weeks about a civil fine. Do you think I’ll be going to court?

Asked on January 21, 2016 under Criminal Law, Washington


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

The letter will explain everything.  The letter will inform you that there is a fine in an amount considerably more than the $40 worth of food that was taken.  If you pay the fine by the deadline stated in the letter, the matter will be dropped.  If you don't pay the fine by the deadline, criminal prosecution of the case will commence in court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption