Do I need to take legal action?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I need to take legal action?

I was recently employer for dollar general in Lexington SC. I worked a total of 3 days. It’s going on a month of run arounds with the manager, HR, HR payroll, compliance, etc. Only to have been lied to from the beginning. Seems I’ve never been hired in the system. They stall me with the check in a hole.. only to find out they don’t have that policy. It’s going on a month. I have bills to pay. All I wanted was my 3 days of labor I provided to them. Since I’m getting a clear case of

discrimination. I don’t know what else to do. Can you point me in the right direction?

Asked on November 15, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, South Carolina


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You can either file a wage claim with your state's department of labor or sue for your wages in small claims court. However, as to the latter, there is a filing fee involved so depending on the amount of money owed you it may not be worth your while to go to court. Sometimes just threatenting legal action is enough to get paid.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption