If I’m a victim of domestic violence. Am I able to break my lease with my landlord without liability and fees?

UPDATED: Aug 31, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 31, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I’m a victim of domestic violence. Am I able to break my lease with my landlord without liability and fees?

If so, what do I have to do? If there is a crime-free part in the lease, does that affect whether I have liability or not?

Asked on August 31, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Arizona


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Please see A.R.S. 33-1318 which deals with early termination by a tenant for domestic violence.  A tenant may terminate a rental agreement if the tenant provides to the landlord written notice that the tenant is a victim of domestic violence.  The tenant may then vacate the dwelling and avoid liability for future rent.  The tenant must provide written notice and request release from the rental agreement with a mutually agreed on release date within the next thirty days.  The tenant must also produce a copy of a protective order or police report.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption