What can I do to get a roommate who has never been required to pay rent evicted?

UPDATED: Aug 31, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 31, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do to get a roommate who has never been required to pay rent evicted?

I am the owner of the property. He is not a significant other, just an ex-friend.

Asked on August 31, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Florida


Catherine Blackburn / Blackburn Law Firm

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, if your roommate will not leave voluntarily, you will have to evict him through the court process.  You should give him a notice to leave the property - look up Florida Statutes section 83.57 for the amount of time you must give him to leave.  If he does not leave, you will have to pay the money and go to court.  You can look on the Clerk of Court website for forms and information about how to file.

I am sorry about this.  If your roommate does not know the law, he may think you can call the police and have him charged with trespass.  If that is the case, he may leave voluntarily.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption