I hit a deer last month but and the body shop wont release my car, what can I do?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I hit a deer last month but and the body shop wont release my car, what can I do?

My insurance company has issued checks to both myself the auto body shop but the auto body shop is asking for a supplement. My insurance issued the supplement, however the shop claims that the supplement was screwed up so they won’t release my car even though I have my deductible that can be paid. Is there anything that can be done so that I can get my car?

Asked on April 11, 2019 under Accident Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

All that you can do is sue the bodyshop in court, seeking a court order that they release the car to you. If you can show that they have been paid for the car, or at at least were paid everything they agreed to do the work for (i.e. they can't just arbitrarily add charges after the fact) you can get a court order for the car's return. Either that, or pay whatever amount they are seeking, if paying rather than suing would be better for you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption