If I got caught shoplifting but this was my first offense, what can I expect?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I got caught shoplifting but this was my first offense, what can I expect?

I’m 19 years old and was caught shoplifting with the value totalling up to around $100. I was taken

to their

Asked on December 16, 2017 under Criminal Law, California


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You will receive a letter from the store which will demand $450.  The letter will explain everything.  If you pay by the deadline, that will end the matter.  If you do not pay, the store will refer the matter to the police and you will be subject to criminal prosecution.  If you do not pay by the deadline and the matter goes to the police, it will be on your record.  If you are convicted, it will have an adverse impact on future employment.
If you are convicted, it may take years to have it expunged from your record in addition to paying expensive legal fees.
To avoid all these problems, pay what the store demands by the deadline and that will end the matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption