What area tenant’s rights to compensationiftheir landlord fails to make adequate repairs tothe bathroom?

UPDATED: Jul 17, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 17, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What area tenant’s rights to compensationiftheir landlord fails to make adequate repairs tothe bathroom?

I have put in 4 requests to repair the plumbling in my bathroom; they keep replacing the drywall but not the leaky pipe. What can I do legally to get them to repair the pipe and receive compensation for the many days that I have been unable to use my bathroom?

Asked on July 17, 2010 under Real Estate Law, Maryland


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

You would need to--and can--bring a legal action against your landlord. You can sue him or her based on both your lease itself (i.e. you are paying money for an apartment with functioning bathroom!) and on what's known as the "implied warranty of habitability" (a requirement imputed to leases that the premises must be inhabitable, which includes having working sanitary/toilet facilities). You could look for either a court order requiring the landlord to make the fix, and/or for compensatory damages--money to compensate you for the dimunition in value of your premises while you don't have a bathroom (i.e. an apartment or home w/out a bathroom is worth less than one that has one!). Speak with an attorney to get a sense for the costs of such an action as well as what you could reasonable expect to recover--as well as for whether you need to put in written requests to you landlord first for the repairs (if you haven't already), to lay the groundwork.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption