What to do if I have possessions in my mother’s home that I need to get back but she won’t let me?

UPDATED: Aug 6, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 6, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I have possessions in my mother’s home that I need to get back but she won’t let me?

I was kicked out /left my mother’s house. I was being kept in the home against my will and was forced to leave without my belongings. After multiple visits with officers, I was given some of my possessions back but only those which my mother decided I could have. I still have many things in that house that belong to me including paperwork (bills, pay stubs, etc), clothing, DVD’s and CD’s, a computer, camera, telescope and jewelry. My mother claims they are not mine because I left them behind but she did not buy them and I want them back. How can I get my things back from her?

Asked on August 6, 2012 under Real Estate Law, North Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I would write your mother a note asking for a date and time to retrieve your possessions and list all. Give her a deadline. Keep a copy of the letter for future use and need. If you do not get the response you want by the due date, then small claims court seems to be your option for the fair market value of the items taken.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption