How to get a deed changed from deceased parents’ name to one of the remaining children?

UPDATED: Aug 6, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 6, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to get a deed changed from deceased parents’ name to one of the remaining children?

My 89 year old mother has been paying property taxes on a piece of property (no house now) that was left (without a Will) to her and 3 sisters. The sisters never helped pay the taxes. Now 2 sisters are deceased and the remaining sister has a slight case of Alzheimer’s. None of the sisters’ relatives ever paid any taxes on their behalf. What needs to be done to get the deed changed to my mother’s name?

Asked on August 6, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Georgia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I can surely understand your Mother's feelings regarding her paying for the taxes all these years.  But legally she has no right to all of the property.  It belongs to her and her living sibling and the heirs of her deceased sibling. She does have a right, however, to sue the others for their portion of the funds that she has paid out and she should consider it.  Seek legal help in your area.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption