If Ihave a warrant for trespassing but the person that put the charge on me is willing to dropit, what shouldI do and willI still have a record?

UPDATED: Feb 18, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 18, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If Ihave a warrant for trespassing but the person that put the charge on me is willing to dropit, what shouldI do and willI still have a record?

Asked on February 18, 2012 under Criminal Law, New York


Richard Southard / Law Office of Richard Southard

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You have to understand that in a criminal case the parties are the State of New York against the person arrested.  The person who filed the complaint to start the action is merely a witness and has no power to drop the charges once an arrest has been made.  You need to hire an experienced criminal attorney to try and get the charges dismissed or reduced.

FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If there is an outstanding arrest warrant against you for trespassing, I suggest that you consult with a criminal defense attorney as to the best way to clear it.

Even though the person who filed a criminal report against you resulting in the filing of a criminal action wants to drop the charge, at this point, the criminal matter is entirely in the hands of the district attorney's office as to dismissing the action or not regardless of the victim's request for a dismissal.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption