If I was given an underage drinking citation without use of a breathalyzer, what shouldI do in court?

UPDATED: Feb 18, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 18, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was given an underage drinking citation without use of a breathalyzer, what shouldI do in court?

I was notdrunk; A breathalyzer test would have showed this. They showed up for a noise complaint (4 people in an apartment watching a soccer game). When the door was opened by the resident of the apartment the lady officer started yelling and giving him attitude. After a while, she spotted 2 glasses of champagne (the 2 roommate’s alcohol) and then asked me if I had had anything to drink. I did not want to lie to her so I told her I tried a sip out of curiosity which is true. I have never been in trouble before ever in my life. How do I handle this. Also, I have no money for an attorney.

Asked on February 18, 2012 under Criminal Law, North Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you are a minor and have been charged with underage drinking and cannot afford an attorney, I suggest that you consult with the public defender's office about assigned legal representation. Since you are a minor, you must be given legal defense under state statute since you cannot by statute represent yourself. You will also need to have a parent or guardian attend all court hearings with you.

When you make your first appearance with a parent or guardian, advise the court you are a minor and request assigned criminal defense counsel.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption