If I was charged with a DUI over a year ago and have not been able to afford the interlock device, what are my options?

UPDATED: Feb 18, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 18, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was charged with a DUI over a year ago and have not been able to afford the interlock device, what are my options?

I read that if you cannot or refuse to get the device on your vehicle, your license will be suspended for 3 years, is this true? I can’t even afford a car right now and have a 4 month old son so I’ve absolutely made a nightmare for myself.

Asked on February 18, 2012 under Criminal Law, Arizona


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states, a person who has been required to install an interlock device on his or her vehicle must do so unless there is some documented medical condition that makes it very difficult for the operator to use the device and the department of motor vehicles waives such a requirement in writing.

As to inability to afford the device, the law is that the device has to be on one's vehicle and there is no exemption as to this requirement for inability to afford. If you cannot afford such a device, you cannot drive a vehicle. Real simple.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption