What to do if I have a relative who told me he is going to leave the country to avoid serving his sentence for his DUI’s?

UPDATED: Dec 26, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 26, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I have a relative who told me he is going to leave the country to avoid serving his sentence for his DUI’s?

He is emotionally blackmailing his wife into leaving with him (threatening to kill himself if she doesn’t help). How do I save her from this situation? Should I tell the police?

Asked on December 26, 2012 under Criminal Law, Illinois


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You should notify three different entities-- between the three-- one is likely to move on the information you have listed in your question.  The first is to contact the arresting agency or prosecutor's office and let them know that he is a flight risk.  They can file motions from there to have him picked up before he leaves.  The second is to notify the court-- they can also issue orders on the information to restrain him.  The third group is the bonding company.   They will have a financial motivation to make sure that he does not skip bail.  If there is domestic violence involved, you may also want to contact law enforcement for an emergency protective order for his wife.  I know it seems frustrating to reach out to so many entities, but the responsiveness will vary by jurisdiction-- so I'm listing all the potential players.  These types of situations can result in distressing consequences for every family member involved.... so I strongly encourage you to call law enforcement.  The relative might get a little upset with you, but at least she'll be alive and your conscience will be clear. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption