If I have a friend that forged $14,000 in checks and it’s her first offense, will she go to prison?

UPDATED: Sep 3, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 3, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I have a friend that forged $14,000 in checks and it’s her first offense, will she go to prison?

What kind of punishment is she looking at?

Asked on September 3, 2012 under Criminal Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

From what you have written, the $14,000 forgery matter with respect to your friend is a felony and a very serious matter. Based upon my experience in criminal matters there is a very good chance that your friend if convicted of the charge aginst her very well could spend a good chunk of time in jail regardless if the situation is her first offense of not.

If she does not have a criminal defense attorney representing her with respect to her matter, I suggest that she consult with one as soon as possible.

Punishment is as follows: four (4) months in jail, restitution, probation. convicted felon.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption