If I have a brother who is a citizen of the US, what are the chances of me getting citizenship from him?

UPDATED: May 22, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 22, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I have a brother who is a citizen of the US, what are the chances of me getting citizenship from him?

I am currently in legal position staying in the US with a student visa.

Asked on May 22, 2013 under Immigration Law, Illinois


Gene Meltser, Esq. / BIRG & MELTSER

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

He can sponsor you for a Green Card and should do so ASAP - the new immigration reform, if passed, may elimitlnate this category (brother/sister of USC). However, there is a long wait involved and you would not be able to wait here based on his petition only. Please contact me directly at [email protected] for more info. I would be glad to help

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption