If I have a greencard application that is pending, can I apply for J1 even though i have a greencard applicatio?

UPDATED: May 21, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 21, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I have a greencard application that is pending, can I apply for J1 even though i have a greencard applicatio?

I am a medical student applying for residency in the US. I am also a Canadian citizen.

Asked on May 21, 2013 under Immigration Law, Maryland


Harun Kazmi / Kazmi and Sakata Attorneys at Law

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you may do this. However, it may be denied for immigrant intent. You will also likely have the 2 year foreign residency requirement. This will prevent your green card from approval until you satisfy the 2 years in Canada or you get a waiver. What type of green card application do you have pending? What type of J1 are you applying for? Feel free to email: [email protected]

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption