What should I expect if I got pulled over with my boyfriend and my friend in the car and only my friend had been drinking but I’m underage?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What should I expect if I got pulled over with my boyfriend and my friend in the car and only my friend had been drinking but I’m underage?

Both me and my boyfriend are 18 but our friend is 21. While neither me nor my boyfriend had been drinking our friend had had a couple beers and had about seven beers in his back pack that neither me nor my boyfriend had known about. When asked if there was any alcohol in the car our friend told the cop that he had beer. In the end, since I was driving, I got summoned to court. What should I do? I have never been pulled over before and never even set foot in a court house.

Asked on August 11, 2015 under General Practice, New Hampshire


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If you aren't guilty of the charge, then you shouldn't enter a plea of guilty to the charge.  Even in this day and age, it is still the state's burden to prove that you committed the offense.  Court is not a fun experience, but it is helpful to have an attorney assist you.  They can walk you through the process of appearing in court, entering a plea, and deciding how to resolve your case.

If you have never been in trouble, then you may be eliglible for certain programs that can guarantee you a dismissal.  For example, if you complete an alcohol awareness program, then the prosecutor will sometimes agree to dismiss the charges without a trial or hearing. 

If you cannot afford an attorney, make sure that you at least have an attorney review any agreements or documents that the state wants you to sign.  You don't want to entered into any agreements that negatively affect your future or scholarship opportunities if you are thinking about college.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption