How to get my ex-spouse to either refinance or sell our former home?

UPDATED: Feb 7, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 7, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to get my ex-spouse to either refinance or sell our former home?

I got divorced; it was finalized on 11/15/10. My ex-husband is living in the house. Bothof our names are still on the title. He refuses to refinance the house and give me half of the equity. He said there is no equity, which is lie. I paid 7 years of the mortgage with him. I’ve moved out already. Our divorce done without an attorney; both of us agreed to written agreement that we had typed up. I wrote it, we both signed it, and we had it notarized. The agreement stated that he would refinance by10/10 and would give me half of the equity. What can I do?

Asked on February 7, 2011 under Family Law, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Finally get an attorney.  Bring your agreement to him or her to review and to make sure that it complies with the laws in your state.  If it does, then it is a contract and you have a right to enforce the contract in a court of law.  That means suing him again.  Since the agreement is probably not incorporated in to any order of the court you can not sue him for contempt.  If the agreement is unenforceable under your state law (if it is found to be unconscionable or against public policy, etc.,) then you can ask the attorney about suing him in an action for "partition" which requests that the court divide the property equally.  What happens in that case is that the court orders the property sold and the proceeds split as you can not really divide that type of asset in half.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption