If I filed for Chapter 13 but cannot make these payments, can I file Chapter 7?

UPDATED: Aug 6, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 6, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I filed for Chapter 13 but cannot make these payments, can I file Chapter 7?

I’m nervous that I will not be able to live on what is left. I’m going to try my hardest but if I cannot, am I able to file Chapter 7 after filing Chapter 13?

Asked on August 6, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Pennsylvania


Terence Fenelon / Law Offices of Terence Fenelon

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You can convert your existing case to a chapter 7 without having to re-file.  The question arises as to why you filed a 13 to begin with?  Did you have an equity problem with real estate?  Did you pass the means test? 

A motion to convert is your right under the bankruptcy code.  Use it if you must.  The form is simple (1 page) and has to be sent to all creditirs.

If the 13 was filed to cover arrearages in a home or car payment, realize that unless those payments are current, the chapter 7 will not offer the protection from future actions that you enjoyed while in a 13.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption