What can I do about discrimination in the workplace?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do about discrimination in the workplace?

I work at a packing shed. I’m one of 2 white males that work here. Everyone, including my supervisor, talk bad to me and about me in Spanish. They set me up to fail at my job. Then they laugh and make me just want to leave but I think that is what they want. I called in sick today because I can’t

take it anymore.

Asked on October 16, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

It is is illegal under both state and federal law to harass someone at work or otherwise discriminate against them on the basis of their race or national origin (e.g not being of hispanic origin); what you describe therefore may be illegal discrimination for both reasons. As a result, you may have a valid discrimination claim. You should contact the federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) and/or your state's Department of Fair Employment and Housing (DFEH) to file a complaint.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption