If I’m currently an F1 student from Nepal, what do I do about obtaining my BA and applying for a green card?

UPDATED: Oct 3, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 3, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I’m currently an F1 student from Nepal, what do I do about obtaining my BA and applying for a green card?

I am going to complete my US bachelors next year in computer information systems and then apply for opt with stem extension. I want to know what is the way for me to apply for green card? Do I file it as soon as I get my bachelors degree or after that?

Asked on October 3, 2013 under Immigration Law, Maryland


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

See below the answer to your question.

you can get a US green card if an US citizen or legal permanent resident/green card holder willing to sponsor you through:
+ immigration through family member (parents, siblings);
waiting time for this category is 1 to 25 years(yes 25 years for immigrants from Philippine)
+ immigration through marriage;
waiting time for this category is 1 to 2 years if sponsored by us citizen spouse, 5 years or more from green card spouse.
+ immigration through employment;
waiting time for this category is 1 to 6 years
+ immigration through investment (Employment Fifth Preference (E5));waiting time for this category is 1 to 6 years
+ immigration through the Diversity Lottery /green card lottery;

as a F1 student, you are eligible to apply for Optional Practical Training (OPT)- 12 months temporary employment visa for f1students to work in a position directly related to their field of study after you are graduated from college.
during your opt period, you can find a company that willings to sponsor you a h1 work visa which has a limit of up to 6 years; or a green card through employment.
employment based immigration may be the best way if family based immigration or green card through marriage is not your option.

I would seek to get your green card sooner rather than later.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption