I am a tenant of a home just foreclosed on. How long do I have after the sale to move?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I am a tenant of a home just foreclosed on. How long do I have after the sale to move?

The townhouse I am staying in here in Tallahassee, FL was foreclosed on. The sale
happened 10 days ago. My friends have told me they will post a notice on the door
and I will be given 30 days. Another friend said I will be given only 24 hours
after the notice is posted by the sheriff. I am already looking but finding a
place is hard when your a single parent work full time and have a small child.

Asked on August 2, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Florida


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Federal law gives some rights and protection to a tenant in the event that their rental unit is foreclosed on. When a home goes into foreclosure, a tenant who has a written lease can continue to occupy the premises until the end of the lease period, or 90 days, whichever is longer. The exception being if the new owner intends to move in and occupy the home as their primary residence. In that case, a 90 day notice to move applies. A tenant with a month-to-month lease has to be given at least 90 days notice to move. You should be aware that sometimes an incentive can be negotiated between a new owner and a tenant so that the tenant agrees to move out early. It is known as “Cash for Keys”, wherein the owner will pay a tenant to leave the property early in exchange for a cash payment. The amount and timing of the payment can be worked out on a case-by-case basis.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption