What to do if I’m a former employee of a retail chain and they won’t allow me back on the property?

UPDATED: Dec 12, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 12, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I’m a former employee of a retail chain and they won’t allow me back on the property?

I’m a former employee was granted intermittent leave under FMLA for Parkinson’s disease but I was terminated because they no longer wanted to accommodate me. A month later there were 2 police officers at my door asking me to sign a trespass warning because the store allegedly heard through a third person that I made threats against them, which is not true. Despite them having no proof I complied with the police and signed the trespass. I was not given a copy. Almost a year later, I stopped into the store to return an item simple transaction, no problem. Yesterday I received a court summons for criminal trespass. Is there a way to fight this? I feel harassed.

Asked on December 12, 2012 under Criminal Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

A private employer, even a store, has no obligation under the law to let former employees onto its property, especially if there is any reason to think they might pose a threat or be disruptive. (You may disagree, but if they heard that you made threats, they may take action based on that.)  Therefore, your former employer does have the right to tell you to never return, and if you come back, after that warning, you would in fact be considered to be trespassing.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption