What canI do about racial remark made in the workplace?

UPDATED: Jul 22, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 22, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What canI do about racial remark made in the workplace?

I am a 27 year-old African American. I work as a line cook in a restaurant and I was referred to as a “monkey” by the quality assurance manager. He often travels for the company. Shortly after complaining about the remark my work days went from 5 to 2; then I was taken off the schedule with no explanation. What are my rights? Should I speak to an employment law attorney? I’m in Cochise, AZ.

Asked on July 22, 2010 under Employment Labor Law, Arizona


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Definitely speak with an employment attorney, since you have a claim or a case. Racial harassment (such as derogatory or insulting remarks) and racial discrimination (such as giving a minority employee fewer hours, less pay, etc., or firing him or her, because of his or her race) are both prohibited under the law. An employer-the restaurant--is responsible for the remarks and actions of its employees, including managers. While an attorney needs to evaluate the circumstances in more detail or depth to provide a definitive recommendation as to what to do, from what you right, it's worth having that conversation with a lawyer--you may be experiencing employment racial discrimination and/or harassment. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption