What information do I need to reveal to the school district for my criminal security check?

UPDATED: Jul 22, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 22, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What information do I need to reveal to the school district for my criminal security check?

When I was 16 years old (2001), I was arrested for underage drinking. I pleaded no contest and had my license suspended for 6 months (did not actually have license at time). I am now filling out a security form to be hired as a teacher in Palm Beach County, and they ask if I have ever (in capital letters) had my license suspended or if I have ever pleaded no contest. Does a misdemeanor as a minor count? I ran a background check and could find no record of this case. Do I answer yes to these questions?

Asked on July 22, 2010 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

This is a tough question to answer.  You may need to ask the advice of an employment attorney in Florida.  Generally your answer to the question will be based upon how the question is worded.  They way that you are stating the question here leads me to believe that you will have to answer "yes" and attach something explaining what happened.  What is obvious is that you can not lie.  And if the wording is such as to give you pause then you probably know what you need to say.  "No contest" means that you are not pleading guilty but it also means that you do not refute the charges.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption