How do I make surethat my daughtergetsmy house in the event of my death?

UPDATED: Oct 10, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 10, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I make surethat my daughtergetsmy house in the event of my death?

I am 63, single, buying first home. I have a single daughter. What about inheritance tax and her financial responsibility if I just put it in my Will? After she buys her home I will add her name to the deed on my house but what about in the interim?

Asked on October 10, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You should really consult with a Wills and Trusts attorney about the transfer of your home to your daughter upon your passing. Upon one's death, an item given to a third person such as a house through a Will or Trust gets a stepped up basis which is a big tax advantage for the beneficiary of the gift.

However, if you transfer an interest in your house through a deed to your daughter she would not get the tax advantage of a stepped up basis upon your passing. In the interim, I suggest that you have a Will giving the property to your daughter on your passing as well as have a power of attorney (springing) that comes in effect when you might not be able to take care of your affairs.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption