Can I still get my washing machine and dryer frommy old rental apartment after 1 year?

UPDATED: Oct 10, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 10, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I still get my washing machine and dryer frommy old rental apartment after 1 year?

I am in the military but my brother (who has mentally ill and diagnosed with schizophrenia) let his friend borrowed my washing machine and dryer (costs $3,000). His friend left and went back to his/her country and left my washer and dryer at the old apartment (it was paid before she left). Can I still get it back after 1 year?

Asked on October 10, 2011 under Real Estate Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you can prove that the washing machine and dryer that are at some old apartment are actually yours, I recommend that you contact the landlord of the unit and advise him or her of the circumstances, where you have been and show proof that you actually bought the washing machine and dryer that you are now attempting to reclaim.

Hopefully the owner of the unit is a reasonable person and is understanding. I suggets that when you show up at the unit you be dressed in your military uniform so as to give a greater sense of legitimacy to your claim. Be prepared to give the owner of the unit many answers to his or her questions about your belongings.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption