How to obtain and original copy or court certified copy of a complete arrest record and disposition

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to obtain and original copy or court certified copy of a complete arrest record and disposition


My father was arrested in 2013 for selling alcohol to a minor. His court case was
settled in Galveston county Texas. I am not sure of all the details of
disposition, however he did community service for a few months and his court
assigned attorney said this arrest record will be removed from his record. He is
applying for US citizenship now and the form is asking to provide a complete
arrest record. Since his arrest is removed from his record should he still submit
a proof of his arrest and disposition? If so, where can he obtain this?

Asked on March 4, 2016 under Criminal Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Expunctions tend to be Catch 22's because it can be difficult to prove what happen after each agency deletes records as they should after an expunction order. 
Your first step is to see if the record was actually removed.  Call the district and county clerk where your dad's charges were handled.  (Make sure you call both... because cases can sometimes fall in both by accident).  Ask them what their procedures are for (1) doing the search and (2) for obtaining copies.  The procedures vary from clerk to clerk in the state of Texas.  If they say that no records are located, ask them to certified a document of 'no records founds,' so that you have proof that the records no longer exist.  You may also want to reach out to the DA's office that handled the expunction to see if they have any other relevant records.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption