How long does an apartment complex have to fix a repair?

UPDATED: Dec 13, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How long does an apartment complex have to fix a repair?

A week ago the ceiling in our kitchen started to leak. We notified our apartment office and they came over to fix it. In order to fix the problem they tore a hole in our kitchen ceiling and bedroom wall. We still have the hole in both places. What can we do to get this resolved?

Asked on December 13, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Good question. There is no set time period for repairs to a rental unit need to be completed. Typically the time period is a reasonable time period based upon the circumstances of the needed repairs, available materials to repair, and the labor to make the repairs.

In your circumstances, I would call the apartment complex about the current state of repairs and the need to complete the repairs within a reasonable time period followed up by a confirming letter. Keep a copy of the letter for future need and reference.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption