Does the state of VT require payment of accrued vacation time when employment ends?

UPDATED: Jun 11, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 11, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Does the state of VT require payment of accrued vacation time when employment ends?

Asked on June 11, 2009 under Employment Labor Law, Vermont


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

No.  You only have a right to be paid your accrued vacation time if there is a company policy (usually in the handbook) or a union contract that says workers will be paid accrued vacation time when they leave.

If you have not already left your employment, find out the specific rules about accrued vacation. Sometimes there is a rule that workers will be paid their accrued vacation if they give notice before they quit.  Read the employee handbook, ask Human Resource what the specific rules are, and ask other employees if the company has paid other employees their accrued time when they left. Decide if you should use up your accrued time before you leave.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption