How long do the police have to charge me with possession with intent if the actual date of offense was almost a year ago?

UPDATED: May 21, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 21, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How long do the police have to charge me with possession with intent if the actual date of offense was almost a year ago?

They are telling the other person involved they want them to waive the preliminary hearing or they will charge me with the same thing

Asked on May 21, 2012 under Criminal Law, Pennsylvania


Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The prosecutor can still charge you criminally with possession with intent to deliver even though the actual incident occurred over a year ago. A preliminary exam must take place in most states within 14 days from the date of arrest, but because you were most likely not arrested or no criminal warrants have issued, it will be up to the prosecutors to determine if they have probable cause to issue a criminal warrant against you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption