What to do if I’m 22 years old and was charged with aggravated DWI, open container, and driving reckless?

UPDATED: May 21, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 21, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I’m 22 years old and was charged with aggravated DWI, open container, and driving reckless?

This is the first time I’ve been arrested or in trouble with the law. My court date is on the 6th of June. I don’t know I should prepare my case? I’m very scared and don’t have the money to get a lawyer. However, I do know I can ask for a public defender. How should I prepare my case would be great.

Asked on May 21, 2012 under Criminal Law, New Mexico


Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You have been charged with a host of very serious criminal offenses which can not only impact your criminal record, but can affect your driving record, car insurance, and employment opportunities as well. You need to have a criminal defense attorney represent you in these matters. If you can not afford to hire an attorney on your own, the court is obligated to appoint you one if you meet the particular financial criteria set by the court (i.e. a finding of your ability to pay). Request a public defender, and if granted, work with that attorney to achieve the best possible outcome for your case.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption