How long after a divorce is final does a person have to collect the property listed in the decree?

UPDATED: May 31, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 31, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How long after a divorce is final does a person have to collect the property listed in the decree?

My divorce was final last year almost a year ago. My ex listed some items he wanted from the home. He has not collected any of these. I want to know if they are still considered his or are they abandoned property. I am moving soon and would like to get rid of this stuff.

Asked on May 31, 2012 under Family Law, Missouri


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country, when there is a divorce decree where personal property is divided, the time to get the items allocated to a party is typically a reasonable amount of time.

If your former husband has yet to pick up the items given him by court decree after a whole year has almost passed, I would write him a letter letting him know that he has until a certain date to get the items and if not, you will dispose of such. Keep a copy of the letter for future use and need.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption