Can I file for a termination of parental rights for my child’s father who has never made an effort to make contact with him?

UPDATED: May 31, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 31, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I file for a termination of parental rights for my child’s father who has never made an effort to make contact with him?

I have a restraining order against my husband. I left 15 onths ago. I had a restraining order within 2 months and our son was born 9 months ago. When I file for divorce, can I file for abandonment? I want no child support, just my son to be kept away from him. I did inform him of his birth.

Asked on May 31, 2012 under Family Law, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Okay you have a lot going on here and you need to speak with an attorney as soon as you can.  He may surprise you and voluntarily surrender his parental rights, although I have to tell you that courts are not keen on severing them.  Also, courts want to make sure that children are cared for financially and so you may not be able to waive child support.  It is not yours to waive.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption