How do I press fraud charges against an individual?

UPDATED: Apr 19, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 19, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I press fraud charges against an individual?

My ex-roommate collected money from me to pay a shared bill. She did not use the money to pay the bill. The account was in her name. I have since transferred the account to my name. I am now being held accountable for the sum. Do I have any legal recourse?

Asked on April 19, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Oregon


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you want to file a small claims civil action agains your former roommate over the facts that you have set forth in your question, that would be the best and quickest way for you to get some sense of resolution of the money owed you.

As to making a criminal report for fraud against the former roommate, that is your option. However, you need to be aware that not all police reports result in a criminal filing by the district attorney's office.

If you want your money from the former roommate assuming you pay the entire bill being presented to you, small claims court seems to be the best way to accomplish your goal.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption