If I wrote a check to an auto repair shop to help a friend fix his car but ow he’s not paying me, how can I get it back?

UPDATED: Apr 19, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 19, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I wrote a check to an auto repair shop to help a friend fix his car but ow he’s not paying me, how can I get it back?

I loaned someone money to get their car fixed by me actually writing the check to the auto repair shop. I did this with the verbal agreement that he would pay me back within a few weeks. It has been nearly a year and he hasn’t paid back anything yet. When I do manage to reach him on the phone, he gives me a hard-luck story and promises to start paying within a couple weeks. I do know the vehicle license plate and VIN number because I have the receipt from the repair. Is there anything I can do? Put a lien on the vehicle? Other?

Asked on April 19, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Minnesota


Madan Ahluwalia / Ahluwalia Law P. C.

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You will have to sue your friend in small claims court, and you can represent yourself.  I don't know about Ohio, but in Calfornia you can sue on an oral contract two years from the date you made the agreement. Check your records to see if you have any written evidence of his end of the deal, and find any witnesses who heard him agree to pay you back for helping him pay for his vehicle's maintenance. Be sure to take your receipt with you. Good luck!

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption