How do I make an agreement between a deceased artist’s family and a music producer

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I make an agreement between a deceased artist’s family and a music producer

My daughter made music before she passed and the music producer wants to release
the music. However, I want an agreement made to where when this music is released
her young child will be able to reap the benefits.

Asked on July 20, 2018 under Business Law, South Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Anything you and the other side agree to regarding the rights to publish, release, modify music, on the one hand, and the payment of fees or royalties on the other, is legal. You nd the producer can literally agree to essentially any way to handle this that makes sense to both sides. But you will be held to exactly what is in the written agreement or contract. If the contract is badly written, that may hurt your grandchild's interests. Since we assume that you are not familar with copyright law, musical licenses, or payment of royalties, all of which can be very technical and confusing (and so contain a great many opportunities for you to make a mistake in negotiating or drafting an agreement), you are *strongly* encouraged to let an intellectual property attorney or lawyer who handles musical artist contracts help you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption