How do I go about taking care of my deceased dad’s things?

UPDATED: Mar 4, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 4, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I go about taking care of my deceased dad’s things?

It’s my 2 sisters and I that are left in the family. He passed away and I don’t know where to begin; he did not have a Will. He was not married but lived with his girlfriend for 20 years. The state he lives in does not recognize common law marriage. She has hired a lawyer and has been very secretive. Her name is on one half of the deed to my father’s house, and us three girls are heirs to the other half. When my sisters and I went to he house she wouldn’t let us even look at my dads things, even pictures. I am back here in tmy home state and I feel that I was completely steam rolled as far as trying to sort my dad’s affairs; a probate lawyer is to expensive for all of us girls.

Asked on March 4, 2013 under Estate Planning, Texas


Victor Waid / Law Office of Victor Waid

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You will need to obtain a probate litigation lawyer to assist you, if you want anything from this estate. The probate lawyer may accept a fee out of the estate, and can protect your interests. Don't delay, and bite the bullet.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption