How do I go about getting a public clearance for wrongful termination?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I go about getting a public clearance for wrongful termination?

I was non-renewed or ‘fired’ according to paper as part of an investigation of
fraud that my supervisor was terminated for. Five others were let go as well. The
investigators and detectives told me they could not find any involvement on my
part, which is because I had no clue. They have yet to publish anything in the
paper or send out emails regarding this. I feel that I was let go prematurely and
deserve something for all the shame and stress my family and I have had to go
through. I was employed for 20 years with this company. Anything I can do?

Asked on June 15, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Did you have a written employment contract for a definite or defined term (e.g. a one-year contract) which had not yet expired (was still in force) and which was violated by your termination? If you did, you could sue for breach of contract. However, if you did not have such a contract, you were an "employee at will" and could be terminated at any time, for any reason, whether fair or justified or not, and even if based on a factual error. As an employee at will, you have no right to your job, and so your termination, even if grossly unfair, is not legally wrongful--they are allowed to terminate you for a wrong or bad reason.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption