If Ineed a copy of my divorce decree, how canI go about this?

UPDATED: Jul 16, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 16, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If Ineed a copy of my divorce decree, how canI go about this?

I was divorced in 01/ 07/71. I have tried to get a copy 4 times. I am being told that they have no record of it. I am in the process of becoming an American citizen and I do need this form. Could you please advise me of what to do next? I have 3 weeks to come up with it. 

Asked on July 16, 2010 under Family Law, Texas


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

You may need to go and ask the counsel who handled your divorce to see if that lawyer has it archived.  If not, go back to the court and ask for archives and you may simply need to scroll through microfiche to obtain it. If you don't have it, seek a divorce lawyer to help you get the proper affidavits.  You may need to file documents in court to obtain an order that indicates when you were previously granted a divorce and use that paperwork as documentary evidence of a prior divorce.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption