How do I get my name off of a car loan that is marital property?

UPDATED: May 17, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 17, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I get my name off of a car loan that is marital property?

My husband and I have 2 cars, 1 is just in his name and the other is in both our names. Do I need to list both cars in the divorce decree? Also, the car that is in both of our names is the car that he has kept. How do I set it in the divorce decree that he is 100% responsible for that loan and also make it so my name gets removed from the loan. He has missed a few payments and I do not want it to further effect my credit rating.

Asked on May 17, 2011 under Family Law, Arizona


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Please do not tell me that you are drafting the agreement yourself?  That is so not a wise thing to do without at least paying an attorney to consult on what you are entitled to in the divorce before you waive a right to anasset.  Are you saying here that the one car is going to be considered separate property? That has to be said in the agreement but really it may not be separate property in reality.   Then do you have it?  Is he tranferring the title?  As for thecar with both your names on it he has to refinance it in his name only.  Not likely going to happen if he has already missed payments.  Otherwise you have to pay off the loan and then transfer title.  You need help here in person.  This is not the forum to draft a divorce agreement.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption