How do I find out if my mother put me in her Will?

UPDATED: Dec 28, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 28, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I find out if my mother put me in her Will?

Please assist me with anything meaningful in the process. The house she owned was valued at 100k after debts being cleared, and the remaining value was suppose to be divded amongist my 2 other sisters and I, so I figure that’s 33k per person.

Asked on December 28, 2014 under Estate Planning, Ohio


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.   If some one was already appointed as the executor of the Will then you should have gotten a copy.  You would always get a copy of the Will as a potential heir even if you are not listed in the WIll because you have the right under the law to contest it if you are written out (the specific facts of the case will determine the full extent of that right).  If there was a proceeding filed then go and look at it in the Probate Court in the county in which your mother resided at the time of her death.  It is a public record.  If there is no Will then the intestacy statute on the state will apply and you and your siblings should inherit equally.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption