how do I file an insurance claim on the party responsible for the accident?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

how do I file an insurance claim on the party responsible for the accident?

My insurance company, Farm Bureau Insurance, told me that I have to file a claim
on the insurance of the man who caused my accident. I also have to rent a car,
myself, and submit the bill to the insurance of the at fault driver so I might be
reimbured. I thought that was why we pay so much for full coverage insurance, so
that they can do the contacting with the liable company. I have no idea how to do
this. Any advice?

Asked on April 12, 2019 under Accident Law, Texas


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Call the at-fault party's insurance company, and it will tell you what information it needs to file your claim.
If you had been at fault in the accident, then the party not at fault would have filed a claim with your insurance company, and then your insurance company would handle the matter for you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption