What can a utility company do to me, if I owe it $7,000 but am not considered to be low-income?

UPDATED: Jan 7, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 7, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can a utility company do to me, if I owe it $7,000 but am not considered to be low-income?

They are taking me to court for payment. I can’t pay so I told them to put a lien on my property, but they are still taking me to court. The problem is that years ago I put a lower amount than I get from SS and pension. I am over 70 and my wife is 60. The customer service person told me to just lie so they wouldn’t shut me off. I am very ill and gave a doctor’s letter but they said that I had to be low-income. What can they do to me in court?

Asked on January 7, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Massachusetts


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

What they will do is sue and try to obtain a judgement against you or you can try and settle the matter in court.  If they do obtain a judgement then they can put a lien against the property for the amount owed, but it could gain interest over the years until paid off.  Or worse they can attach bank accounts or income if your wife still works.  Call the Public Utilities Commission and see if there is any way that they can guide you in all of this.  They may be able to suggest services for the elderly that you may apply and qualify for such as help with utilities (either one time or continuous).  It would be best for you not to have the lien, which I am sure that you know.  Maybe an equity loan?  Try different avenues.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption