If I was recently suspended almost 2 ago weeks and I haven’t heard anything further from the company, how long do they have to get back to me?

UPDATED: Jan 10, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 10, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was recently suspended almost 2 ago weeks and I haven’t heard anything further from the company, how long do they have to get back to me?

I was told that a complaint of sexual harassment was brought up against me it’s going on 2 weeks and I’ve heard nothing from anyone. They told me a week tops and I’d hear something. But nothing yet? How long can they keep me suspended?

Asked on January 10, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Connecticut


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, they can keep you suspended indefinitely--the law does not put a time limit on this. They could also simply fire or terminate you, unless you have an employment contract protecting your job in some way (for example, laying out a disciplinary process which must be followed).

At a certain point, if you are not working, even if you are not officially fired, you may be able to claim unemployment benefits for being "constructively," or effectively, terminated. There is no hard and fast rule for when this occurs--it's essentially when it becomes evident that there is no more employment for you, at least for  the foreseeable future.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption