How do I file a complaint about cockroaches in my rental house?

UPDATED: Jun 7, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 7, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I file a complaint about cockroaches in my rental house?

I informed the landlord about the cockroaches and insects when we first moved in 8 months ago. Recently the landlord informed me that I needed to purchase the pesticide and spray the house myself.

Asked on June 7, 2011 under Real Estate Law, New Mexico


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The condition inside your rental house effects your warranty of habitability. The warranty of habitability means that when you rent the apartment you have the right to assume that it will be free of pests like bugs, mice, etc.  The landlord "warrants"under the law to keep it such.  A breach allows you to ask the court for help.  You need to go down to court and advise that this is happening and ask that the court allow you to pay your rent in to court until such time as the condition is fixed.  You can also ask for an abatement - reduction - of your rent due to the condition.  The landlord will be given time to remedy the condition and if he does not then you may have the option to void the lease.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption