how do i beat a marijuana possession ticket

UPDATED: Jun 18, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 18, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

how do i beat a marijuana possession ticket

the marijuana was not on me. i was in the front seat and they found the marijuana in the back seat of the vechile, plus having no knowledge of it. they never tested it at the scene of the “crime”. there was 4 other individuals in the vechile. also there was way less then half of a gram. what should i do

Asked on June 18, 2009 under Criminal Law, Florida


M.S., Member, Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Although I do not practice in Florida, this sounds like a very defensible case.  In Connecticut, where I practice, in order to prove possession in a common area, the state must demonstrate that you 1) had knowledge of the substance, and 2) had dominion and/or control over it.  In your case, it appears you may have had neither, especially considering where the contraband was found.  Moreover, if your co-defendants will provide exculpatory statements, it may be very difficult for the state to prove that you actually possessed the contraband.  Therefore, I suggest you consult with and/or retain a criminal defense attorney that is experienced with Florida law in order to discuss the particular facts of your case and/or develop/evaluate the best possible defense(s) available to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption